Miller Dunwiddie is an award-winning, full-service architectural design practice based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Work at Miller Dunwiddie spans a broad range of project types including aviation, transportation, faith-based and education projects as well as being a recognized leader in historic preservation.
We are a group of talented, passionate professionals who are dedicated to working collaboratively to bring about the highest quality of design, program resolution and construction to a project with solutions borne from client needs. Our office culture is characterized by creativity, flexibility, and a focus on people.
For the safety of our staff and communities, our office (located in downtown Minneapolis) is open to those who need it, but most people are currently working remotely. A hybrid work plan will be implemented in the fall of 2021.
We are seeking a talented, motivated Architect with three to ten years of professional experience as a licensed Architect in a design firm to join our team. The ideal candidate is passionate about architecture, has a strong design sensibility and appreciates the process of articulating design through the documentation and construction process. Successful candidates will work collaboratively with their teams to support, develop and coordinate the design and implementation of a full range of project types.
- Reporting to Principal-in-Charge, Project Manager and Project Architect
- Communication with internal and consultant teams
- Prepare complete documents to convey the design intent and philosophy as determined by the design team at all phases of design, from schematic design graphics to detailed construction documents for bidding
- Building code research and analysis
- Produce detailed and coordinated digital documents for the project team
- Construction Administration coordination with the design team and contractor
- Work with all team members
- Ability to collaborate and coordinate with entire team in innovative areas that include Energy/Performance Analysis, Design and Visualization
Skills and Qualifications:
- Work both independently in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively within a project team.
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills are essential
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills, a passion for discovery and constant improvement, high motivation, and an ability to collaborate and work within a team setting are essential
- Diverse knowledge of architectural practices and design thinking that can be applied to a variety of assignments, taking initiative in response to direction or instruction
- Proficiency in Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite and standard Microsoft Office software required
- Professional Degree in Architecture from an accredited university architecture program
- Registered Architect State of MN
- Three (3) to ten (10) years of professional architectural experience in an architect role
- Proficiency and professional experience using Revit for project development and documentation
- Knowledge of SketchUp, Enscape rendering, Autodesk Insight and Tally Revit plugin are valued
- Knowledge of building analysis tools such as Therm is valued.
- Evidence of continuing professional development
- Great interpersonal communication skills strongly preferred
- Service for community and professional organizations valued
Building Science Project Manager
We are currently seeking an individual capable of managing teams that perform assessment, commissioning and design services for building envelope systems including roofs, fenestration, exterior walls, and waterproofing. Candidates should be passionate about furthering their education in building envelope science. Miller Dunwiddie strongly values continuing education and certification related to the responsibilities of this position.
- Assist in the forensic assessment of building envelope components and develop means to investigate, evaluate, document, and analyze the existing envelope systems related to various moisture related distress and deterioration.
- Assist the preparation of building envelope assessment reports
- Review design documents, shop drawings, and submittals prepared by internal teams or third parties for conformance with good building practice with respect to water intrusion, air leakage, vapor diffusion, thermal performance and differential movement.
- Undertake field review of both new construction and rehabilitation projects to confirm that the construction of the building envelope assemblies is proceeding in accordance with approved mock-ups and design documents
- Observe field testing of selected elements of building envelope assemblies to confirm compliance with specified performance standards (primarily water infiltration and air leakage) and prepare reports outlining results of these tests
- Provide consulting services on a variety of topics, including commissioning review of construction documents and specifications for building envelope components.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent written and verbal skills are required to describe observations, analysis, testing, and conclusions based upon building codes, industry standards, and professional experience.
- Strong understanding of advanced flashing, waterproofing, roofing, cladding, rain screens, air barriers and other related systems
- Practical knowledge of energy code and thermal performance.
- Familiar with Revit, Autocad, Bluebeam and Office Suite.
- Degree from an accredited college, or equivalent education and experience in related architectural/engineering/building science
- Professional registration as an Architect/Engineer, or on the path to licensure, preferred but not required.
- RRO, RRC or other industry recognized certifications preferred but not required
- 10 +yrs experience in architecture/engineering with a focus on Building Science and Building envelope detailing.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment, in-person or remotely
- Position may require travel regionally
- Prior experience in project management is desired.
Miller Dunwiddie offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, 401(k) plan, PTO, hybrid work and paid holidays.Join Our Team
Miller Dunwiddie Architecture is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status or disability. If you need special accommodation responding to this ad, please call (612) 337-0000.